4/6/12

XS650 cafe seat part 3

I welded up the cowl parts, and cleaned the rust off the pan, so getting close to being ready for the bodywork. It is coming out pretty neat for using old junk parts and scrap.
100_8036

100_8035

100_8038

It is all made to fit around the frame. I'm not a purist and doubt I'd ever do a stock restoration on this bike, but didn't want to cut up or de-tab the frame. De-tabbing would save a couple of pounds, but just being a street bike, I'm not too concerned about it. I added a bracket for the gas tank, and three for the seat, but 10 minutes with a cut-off wheel and grinder and they were never there if I ever went back to stock.
100_8022

I'm really liking the look. I do like the XS750 tank most use, but I think the XS360 tank looks a little better. The tail light will probably be the standard Lucas style reproduction with aluminum body and tag mount.
100_8024

Looking at the body lines, I might add a little filler piece on the front bottom of the pan on each side, to fit closer to the bottom tank line. The first plan for the seat upholstery was to have it wrap around the sides of the pan, but I'm leaning more toward a pad just on the top.
100_8027

4 comments:

TMK said...

I think lowering the headlight and gauge assembly would make a big difference in the looks. For me the cockpit is a bit tall compared to the low slung look of the tank and new seat.

Joe C said...

Yes, they will be lowered. I'll also be using clipons, instead of the clubman bars on there now for mock-up.

matt machine said...

that tail section is very nice......and yep that headlight repositioned as you are planning to do will make all the difference on the profile.....

nice.

Toadeus Maximus said...

Really appreciate the step by step. It helps fill in some of the gaps in my knowledge of doing these kinds of mods.

Thanks!