5/18/14

YRT project

This is a project I've been kicking around for some time. I'm ready to start doing some work on it, although not much will be done until the DT1 racer is finished. It is a '67 Yamaha YR1 frame with a '68 YR2 tank. This bike originally had a 350cc twin, and I'd decided to go with a single. I had a spare 250cc engine, but picked up a '73 RT3 360cc engine for it, so it will be a YR and RT mix, which is why I'll call it the YRT. It is fairly common to use an earlier piston port 250cc DT engine and later R5 chassis for 250 GP vintage racing, and this bike will be similar to those, but I think the bigger reed engine will make it more fun on the street. This should be a fun one. Engine mounting will be first, since it determines exhaust mounting and a few other things.

Here is a loose mock-up. It will be a 'parts bin special', so shouldn't cost too much. I might do a half fairing for it.
100_6524

100_6514

100_6503

No comments: