4/30/11

Sportster cafe seat part 7

I got the seat pad knocked out this week. After reading this very helpful thread on Adventure Rider, I decided to try using a gardening knee pad for the foam. I checked Walmart, but the type they had wouldn't have worked, but Menards had just the right kind. I also picked up a 2'x2' piece of 1/4" exterior grade plywood. It took a couple attempts to get something I like, but I'm very happy with the results.
100_3680
The foam cuts easily, and can be shaped in many different ways. I used my router to knock off some of the edges...
100_3682
...then smooth it with a in-line sander.
100_3683
The plywood (painted below) is really just something to staple the cover to, since the lift-off seat base provides the support. This will bolt to the base. I'll use nylon lock nuts, and cut slots in the ends of the bolts so I can use a screwdriver to hold them if the bolts spin when tightening or loosening the nuts.
100_3696
The first attempt with the foam, I didn't like. Too flat and square.
100_3687
The second try I liked. I built it up some in the middle with the foam. You can use an angle grinder to quickly get it roughly shaped, and then finish with course sandpaper. I used a hot glue gun to attach the foam, since it sets up almost instantly, rather than the long curing times of spray adhesives.
100_3717
Final shaping and smoothing with the in-line sander.
100_3716
It's just a simple stretch and staple vinyl job. It's very basic, but corners can be tricky. Heating with a hair dryer makes it go much easier. Sometimes trimming and cutting the excess makes it tuck much better also.
100_3728
Done! Maybe next winter I'll learn to use a sewing machine, and do a really nice cover, but this looks fine. It feels like it is going to be very comfortable also, for sure better than my other seat. It was made from the trimmed down foam from the stock seat, and the gardening pad feels like a much better foam. I left the tail and tank on the bike to fit the cover, so now they can come off for paint.
100_3738

100_3740

100_3737

100_3732
When I went lower with the gas tank, the ignition switch was in the way, and I thought I'd have to move it, but a simple spacer and I have clearance. I had to shave the plastic housing a bit in the front also.
100_3718
It just fits now. The best fixes are the simple fixes.
100_3723
I went to Advance Auto and picked up a new roll of this edging that I'll be using in a few places on the seat. Great stuff. It also works great on gas tanks that have the exposed bottom seam.
100_3729
Next update should be the finish.

2 comments:

Gymi said...

I love it when a plan comes together. The seat looks great man.

Joe C said...

Thanks! I got a start on the paint today, so hope to be done by the weekend.