5/7/11

Sportster cafe seat part 8

The bike is painted and back together. I used Rust-Oleum "steel" wheel paint. My old paint was Dupli-Color "graphite" wheel paint. On that, I just sprayed it and lightly sanded it, giving a brushed bare metal look. I almost did the same this time, but decided instead to do a clear coat. For a $30 rattle can job, it looks decent.
100_3749

100_3757
I ordered a new gas cap seal from TAS Classic Motorsports here in Indiana. The old one was hard as a rock and badly cracked. This is something you definitely want to take a look at when using an older gas tank.
100_3769
This shows how the funky dropped rear frame section of an Evo XL frame can be somewhat of a challenge to get a classic cafe' look. The key is to use a gas tank that sits as low as possible.
100_3774
I'd looked at using a Viper fairing that I have lying around, but kept the current flyscreen. I really like it, and it has been on the bike since '06. It is HD part number 68129-97, one of they few decent parts they sell. I trimmed the bottom off and tilted it back when I went to a side mount headlight a few years ago.
100_3777

100_3813

100_3805

100_3779
I believe the CB750 gas tank is a '75 model. I've got a back burner CB project and most of the parts I have are '73-'75. It has the petcock in the left rear of the tank. It's farther back than the stock XL petcock, but clears fine. I just had to fit a slightly longer fuel line. Honda changed the petcock location over the years on the CB750, so if you are thinking of doing this swap on your Sportster, keep that in mind.
100_3793
It's done, at least for now!

8 comments:

Luke Inazuma said...

Haha... You made it!
COOL!
You know I was following the WIP. But only now I have discovered where you put the latest news.
Thank you very much for putting my blog in your list.
All the best
Ciao from Italy
Inazuma Luke

Joe C said...

Thanks Luke, and I'm glad to see my bike on your blog.

Cheers, Joe

Chris Saddler Sam said...

ho-ho-ho

i see we have common friends here!

:))

hello joe... hello luke...

whats up boyz?

:)

joe, great job u have dont here with your sporty...
i dont remember if i have already asked u about the front wheel (but it's been on my mind for a while...): r u gonna change it?

it would look more cafe' with a smaller wheel!
(i'm sure u know that...)

:)

and btw...I VOTE FOR THE VIPER FAIRING!!!!

it's a sum of things:
the big front wheel+no fender+high attached headlight+biiig clocks+the small fairing=
there is a big empty space under the headlight!

no offence bro... ok??

i just think that u should follow the horizontal line that starts from the back (great job there) fender.... followint the cb gas tank (it looks great on the sporty)... and then...?? empty!!!

hehe

take care

Gymi said...

I don't need to tell you the bike looks fantastic. Who would have thought a Honda tank would have looked so good on a Harley. Great job Joe.

Joe C said...

Thanks Chris and Gymi for the compliments.

Chris, I've considered lacing up an 18" on the front to match the rear next time it needs new tires. It is a 19" now, so not a big difference, but might look better, and may handle better also.

The real issue I had with the Viper fairing is that it is too big for my liking, and also fork mounted. If I used anything other than the flyscreen, it would be a frame mounted fairing, something like the old Ducati 750 sport half fairing.

Chris Saddler Sam said...

i vote for the 18"... do it tomorrow!
trust me, it will really make a difference!
hehe

and i also vote for the ducati style fairing!
wow!

i wanna see that coming...
i'll be waiting...
stand by!!

:)

take care joe!

cheers

Luke Inazuma said...

Huhu...
The Greek strikes again...
He's everywhere, like my mother in law.
... :)

Chris Saddler Sam said...

:D