7/2/11

tail light mount quick fab

Since I decided to use an XJ750 Maxim rear fender on the XT500, I had to come up with a tail light mount. I'm using an early Lucas style reproduction light, which cost about $8. The ready made mounts, like the one I'm using on my Sportster, make the light point up when mounted on a short, nearly horizontal fender.
100_4753

I mocked up some cardboard to get the shape I needed, and then cut it out of 16 gauge steel...
100_4699
...then bent it. I also made some little tabs to mount the light.
100_4701
Welded, blasted, smoothed, and primed...
100_4723
...and then a nice coat of white paint. very clean and simple, and tucks up under the rear frame loop nicely. The holes behind the mount are from the original tail light, are are the perfect spot for the plate mount, which will just be aluminum flat stock.
100_4728

100_4759

3 comments:

Time To Fly said...

Very cool and clean!

Joe C said...

Thanks! I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Chris Saddler Sam said...

yeap!

man, u r good!

;)

bravo