10/1/11

elbow grease

I worked on the '79 XS650 Special a bit this morning. I'm keeping this one stock, and just doing some maintenance and detailing on it. I'm starting with the frame and engine.
100_6073

A quick tip here, I always save old coffee cans. They are great for storage, but also make excellent scrapers. Just cut out the size and shape you need. Great for scraping grunge off aluminum without damaging it like a metal scraper might.
100_6075
I decided to use my engine hoist.
100_6062
Starting with the worst first, the front sprocket area. I want to replace the seals here, but need some cleanup first.
100_6068

100_6077
Much better.
100_6081
Now for the rest of it, first making sure the engine was completely sealed up, plugging places like the tach drive and vacuum ports on the intakes. The engine tilter on my hoist makes it easy to get underneath.
100_6083
Finishing up here. Next will be touching up the frame paint.
100_6088

2 comments:

Toadeus Maximus said...

It's been great following your work on this. You're providing the motivation to get my SR back on the road, Thanks!

I wondered if you had any tips for cleaning up a new chain. I thought it was covered but in the jumble it was exposed to a small amount of grinding dust. This is due to my mounting rear sets that required cutting back some of the passenger peg mounts.

Anyway, it's not a lot of grit but the chain was covered with (from the factory) grease. It's a new DID xring chain and they say to use their DID chain cleaning spray. Thoughts?

Regardless, I enjoy your writing/photography and again the motivation to get back to work on my bike.

Thanks

Joe C said...

Thanks! ...and there isn't a more fun bike than the mighty SR. It wouldn't hurt to use the DID cleaner. There are lots of ways to do it, but I usually use kerosene and a rag for chain cleaning. It removes any dirt and gunk, but seems to be gentle and not dry out the O-rings. The grit is just likely on top of the grease, so should come off easily.