10/14/12

XS650 stuff

I've been disassembling the '75 XS engine in preparation for a top end rebuild. No surprises thankfully, and it looks like there won't be any need to go into the bottom end. I need to fix the starter gears, new cam chain and guides, and some other small things. I'll have to measure the pistons and bores. I'm leaning towards a stock overhaul, but if it needs an oversize I'm tempted to just go with a 750 big fin kit.
100_7482

100_7496

Here is what led to the rebuild. When I got this bike a couple of years ago, the first thing I did was an oil change. I found lots of black plastic bits in the sump, which were identified as being from the front cam chain guide. I decided not to ride the bike until I got it fixed.
000_0431

Here is the front guide, which doesn't look too bad at first glance. The bike has under 9000 miles, so not much wear.
100_7502

You can see where the long plastic pieces were coming from on the sides.
100_7491

The plastic is only attached about 1/3 of the way on one end, the rest just flapping around. The plastic would have soon fallen off and let the cam chain start sawing into the aluminum.
100_7500

No comments: