XS650 project

Here is the '73 TX650 brake rotor from the front end I picked up at the swap meet, so looks like I'll be going dual front brakes on the '75 XS 34mm front end. '72 and I believe early '73 TX had a wacky style hub and rotor that don't interchange, but this one is good.
100_8089

Blasted.
100_8092

Masked.
100_8096

...and painted. I used Rust-Oleum 'stainless steel'.
100_8100

The '75 XS rotor to the left and '73 TX to the right of the picture, the only difference being the little cut out areas between the holes on the '75, but otherwise identical.
100_8109

The TX and XS calipers are the same, so when I rebuild them I just need to swap the top stud and bolt and one will be a left side caliper. I'll probably get the dual disc master cylinder from MikesXS. These are 2 piston fixed calipers, unlike the '77 and up single piston. These have hard line going to the caliper stock, and don't accept a conventional banjo fitting, so I'll try to find an AN adapter to connect to braided line.
100_8101

Getting ready to finish up the engine, the clutch cover before doing anything to it. I first gave it a cleaning, and then used paint stripper to remove the old paint on the logo and any remaining clear coat.
100_8144

Here is a good reason to thoroughly inspect and clean everything as you go, a piece of the front cam chain guide in the oil passage front the sump to the oil pump in the cover. This bike had the typical hole in the sump screen, and this piece made it through. 
100_8155

I wet sanded using dish soap and 600 grit paper.
100_8163

After wet sanding.
100_8167

Next a good rubbing with Autosol metal polish. Still a slight haze in a few spots at certain angles, but quite an improvement.
100_8174

This is the clutch cover with the untouched left side cover, quite a difference.
100_8179

No comments: