3/2/13

XS650 project

The turn signals for the '75 are from ebay seller The Alpha Moto. They are $32.50 with free shipping for a set of four. I use these same aluminum bodied signals on my Sportster and SR500.
100_8611

I'd mocked up the bike using the stock gauges, but wasn't sure if I'd use them or get aftermarket gauges. I trying to reuse as many stock parts as possible.
101_0106

They needed some cleaning and painting.
100_8374

After taking it apart I noticed that the gauges themselves have metal bodies rather than the later plastic ones, so a change in plan. I'm ditching the speedometer and using just the tachometer. Using the Pamcopete gearing spreadsheet, I'll just need to look up the RPMs for a given speed, and it is really the only gauge needed.
100_9127

100_9128

Cleaned, sanded and then painted. The paint is the satin black caliper paint I used on the brake calipers.
100_9146

100_9148

The stock bracket on top, and the two new brackets I made on the bottom.
100_9149

A rear view of the tach and new brackets. The harness got trimmed also, going from ten lights to just four.
100_9154

I relocated the ignition switch to the top fork clamp.
100_9142

The center part has a section thick enough to drill and tap for a stud which I Loctited in place.The stud needs to be short to clear the steering bearing cover, but there is just enough room to fit.
100_9139

I really like it. Much slimmer than the stock setup, and a no cost mod.
100_9164

2 comments:

Mike said...

I like the look, but if I was to keep, only, one gauge it'de be the speedo. Hard to live without that odometer. Besides, hereabouts you're fail a roadside (or other) safety check without a speedo.Tachs are so overrated :-)
I bought the same t-signals too, nice bits.
bikeymikey748

Joe C said...


I suppose it depends on preference. I really don't need an odometer for anything, and no safety checks here in Indiana.