5/27/13

XS650 project

It is a cool and slightly damp morning, just right for the first time putting the engine through it's paces. The bike ran flawlessly. The engine shakes at idle, but smooths out going down the road. Like my '79 it has more of a 4 cylinder buzz than vibration like an SR500 or Sportster. I kept the revs and speed down on the first ride, but did some wide open throttle, and it pulls cleanly and crisply; no hesitation or stumbles whatsoever, so I think the jetting looks to be fairly close. The transmission shifts smoothly, and the clutch feels great. The front brakes feel excellent, and should get even better as they are bedded in. I'm happiest about the ergonomics. The rearset positioning is just right. The bike feels roomy and comfortable, but radical at the same time. It is smaller than my Sportster, but leaves me less cramped. I'm running a 520 O-ring chain with 17/33 gearing. I have 17/30 on my '79. The 17/33 suits this bike better. The bad; the tach is slow, but seemed to work better the more I rode it. I might have to change it, but no hurry on that. At idle the front brake pads rattle around. It looks like it is the locating tabs in the calipers making the noise. More of an annoyance than a problem, but I'll look into it. Just a slight bit of lever pressure stops the rattling anyway. I'll go for another ride in a bit and then do an oil change and check the bike over, but I think it is all set for summer.
101_0045

No comments: