7/19/13

XS650 Special project

To finish the gas tank mounting I bought a new reproduction CT-1 rear mount rubber from CSM Restoration Parts.
100_9969

I used a section of old exhaust tubing to make it fit the frame, trimming it down until the tank fit just right.
100_9977

Here it is fitted and tacked. I also moved the front mounts slightly lower and more forward from where I'd originally put them.
101_0001

Looking at what to do with the exhaust, I scored a pair of small shorty mufflers for $40. I'm thinking of using these with the stock '75 head pipes with some extensions welded on. I'm haven't ruled out high pipes later on, but this might be a good option, and would get the bike back on the road quicker.
100_9997

I got started on hinging the seat. The seat will need to come apart to finish this, so I bought a reproduction cover, and will be sandblasting and painting the pan. I got lucky in that one weld nut is in the right place, so it will keep the pan in the right location to finish the rest.
100_9994

As it sits now, mocking up the exhaust to see how it looks. I'm liking it so far. If I do this exhaust I'll paint the head pipes. The tank is sitting just right, so I'm going to finish weld the mounts where they are.
100_9990

100_9988

No comments: