10/3/13

DT1 flat track project

Along with the XT500 project, I'm going to have a go at putting together a dirt flat track bike. I'd looked at doing a little 2-stroke street racer recently, but this is what I'll be doing instead. It is going to be a low-buck just for fun vintage flat tracker.

The bike I'm using is the '68 DT1 with a '72 engine I bought last year. It had picked up a bunch of Suzuki parts at some point. Luckily the frame wasn't modified any.
100_9190

This is pretty much all that I'll be using from it. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make any use of that pipe. I'll have a look at making a low pipe out of it if it is usable. The bike will be using mostly stock Yamaha parts from '68-'73.
100_4370

Some swap meet parts I'll be using, '73 TX650 forks and front hub, thermal flow shocks, and RT3 tank. I'll have to weld mounts on the frame for the gas tank.
100_4374

From ebay, a set of '69 DT1MX fork clamps and rear fender.
100_4377

This is a '68 YR2 rear wheel. Nor sure if this will be the wheel I'll end up using.
100_4387

This is the TX650 forks in the DT1MX trees. I'll need to cut spacers and get a shorter axle, but this looks like it'll work nicely.
100_4392

I used a front cast wheel to make it a roller to be able start working out what needs to be done. I'll have to look into the rules before getting too far along. I'm leaning more toward using the stock rear fender and a stock type seat rather than a race seat. The rims will be shouldered aluminum.
100_4401

No comments: