10/20/13

DT1 flat track project

I made the mounting brackets for the exhaust, so got started on the silencer. The end cap is one of the old brake caliper pistons from the '75 XS650, and the body is part of the 2" u-bend.
100_4517

I had the insides of an old Duc 900SS muffler in the scrap pile, and cut it open since it has some small diameter tubing, one of which is the same diameter as the stinger currently on the pipe. It also has a small baffle area. The plan is to start the stinger inside of the expansion chamber, since this isn't supposed to affect power, but quiet the exhuast somewhat. I cut the old stinger off so the new one fits tightly into the chamber, and will weld the new one to the end cap. I'll drill and tap the end cap so it is removable from the body for tuning, or if it needs more baffling.
100_4521

Here is how the silencer is going together.
100_4525

I need to finalize a few things, and then weld it up. I think it will work out good, and I'll only have about $30 in the pipe once it is done and painted.
100_4541

100_4540

No comments: