10/12/13

XT500 project

I'm using a 35mm XS500 front end on the XT. The nice thing about it for this project is that it is slightly narrower than an SR500 front end, and has the handlebar clamps integral with the top clamp, rather than using separate risers. This is an XT500 bottom clamp on the left and XS500 on the right.
100_4272

To fit the XS500 clamps to the XT500 I swapped steering stems. The XT stem unbolts and presses out. For the XS stem I had to grind out the weld, and press it out, then press in and weld the XT stem.
100_4275

I then measured and cut wheel spacers to center the wheel. When the bike gets torn down for the finish work I'll have a lug TIG welded to the fork leg to locate the brake plate, and the caliper mounts will be shaved. The wheels I'll be using for this bike are a spare set of YR2 18" wheels I've got. I also cut spacers to center the rear wheel, but still need to measure and space the rear sprocket out a bit.
100_4426

I'm doing a simple high pipe using a shorty muffler and header from ebay. I went through my bends box and got some pipe to make the rest.
100_4434

The one I bought is on the bottom, a stock pipe on the top. The top is 1-3/8" and the bottom is 1-3/4". I don't know what it is, but must be an older aftermarket pipe.
100_4438

It was only $9.95 'buy it now' since it had a dent in the front part.
100_4441

I drilled a hole opposite the dent and tapped it out. I'll then weld up the hole.
100_4445

Once the pipes are sandblasted and painted it will look like new.
100_4447

And here it is tacked together. It was a tight fit between the shock and tire, but I had just enough room. I still need to make a mid mount bracket and finish weld it. The exhaust will be black with the heat shield painted silver. Next up will be mounting the tank, seat and rear fender.
100_4467

2 comments:

Teledan said...

Nice work! Is that little muffler pretty loud?

Joe C said...

I haven't run it yet with this exhaust, but I'm sure it'll be a bit on the loud side. It is the same muffler as I put on the '79 XS650, and they sound pretty good on it.