2/9/14

DT1 flat track project

The '73 TX650 forks I'm using have lots of tabs that need trimmed off since I don't need any of them for this bike.
101_5462

I removed them using an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel.
100_5562

The fork lower after the trimming.
100_5563

Next was to smooth out the cuts. I started with a flapper wheel, then finished with a fine metal file. The important thing here is to avoid any scratches that will take more time to polish out later on.
100_5567

Then was wet sanding with soapy water first with 400 grit, then going to 1000 grit, and then some Autosol metal polish.
100_5611

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it need need any clear coat before/after the pollishing paste? Isn't there any problem with corrosion? Is just the pollishing paste going to be enough?

Joe C said...

It will need occasionally touched up with polish to keep the shine. That takes just a few minutes a couple times a year.

Anonymous said...

Cool! But wouldn,t it be better to use clear coat to "seal" the polish? Have you done that in any other part?
Great blog and job! Thanx for the info.
I'm just starting to work with fiberglass/carbon fiber, and I might start a blog with my "adventures" with that. Somewhat like you do here. :-)

Quinn_McLeod said...

From my experience, there is no way to "seal" the polish. It just puts a clear coat over it that you need to strip off in order to get to the aluminum to polish. And it still ends up corroding long term underneath the "seal" anyways. So it's MUCH better to leave it at a high polish and touch it up every once in a while than it would be to have to strip the clear coat off of it to get to the metal to polish it. It'll be less work and less maintainance to leave it bare - trust me.

Joe C said...

Yep, what Quinn said. And I think bare polished aluminum looks better also.