4/26/14

DT1 flat track project

I painted and bolted on the rear fender. The fender is a '70 and up part, but I'd modded the rear mounts during mock-up so it would clear the frame loop. The gas tank still needs bodyworked and painted, but I set it on to see how it looks. I'd used a RT3 tank during mock-up, so hadn't seen the bike with the earlier style tank on it. I'm undecided on what color it will be. Unlike the smaller AT and CT tanks, the DT tanks use the same tank badges as the early XS models, so I'll probably get some from MikesXS for it.
100_6455

100_6453

100_6450

Since I'm using the earlier style tank I had to get a seat to match, and got started on fixing it.
100_6397

I does have some rust near the latch, but overall is solid.
100_6400

The cover and foam are completely gone.
100_6406

Ready to get going on it.
100_6417

First was a good sandblasting to remove the rust.
100_6433

It came out clean.
100_6435

Here is the bad spot near the latch. You can weld cracks, but can't weld in the holes since the nearby metal is too thin and would have just blown out. It would be possible to cut the area out and weld in new metal, but with all of the contours would be quite a lot of work. Since the rust itself is gone, and the pan isn't too badly damaged, I decided to go over the area with fiberglass.
100_6440

This will strengthen the area, and I think is a good option for a repair like this. Once it sets up I'll drill out the hole where the seat damper fits. The pan will then be painted and get a reproduction cover and foam.
100_6444

No comments: