6/20/14

DT1 flat track project

I'm doing a rattle can paint job on the DT tank. I got Dupli-Color for the white base, and VHT "gold flake" engine paint for the main color. The gold just jumped out at me, and should work fine. I did a test panel on some scrap metal so before I clear coat I can test for any interaction problems.
100_7481

To mask for the stripe I got some 3M fine line masking tape from ebay seller motodad24. It is the correct width for these bikes, and it came shipped with wax paper and a CD on each side to keep the edges perfect.
100_7154

I'd sprayed the tank white, wet sanded it, and set it aside to completely dry. That is about the most important step with spray can paint jobs is lots of dry time before top-coating. Wet sanding seems to help this since it opens up the surface to let the solvents evaporate. I then sprayed the tunnel, and once it was dry enough to handle started masking. I did each side in one continuous piece, starting and finishing at the bottom rear corner. This tape is very flexible and I found it easy to work with.
100_7161

And now for the gold. I let it tack dry and them slowly peeled the tape.
100_7488

So far, so good. Where the tape ends met a little gold ran underneath, but that will just sand off the white. Next time I know to make sure to press down where the tape overlaps with a finger nail. I'll give it at least a week before clear coating.
100_7486

100_7484

You couldn't do this with regular masking tape. It is great stuff.
100_7467

The gas cap is still available from Yamaha, so I got a new one for $19.91 from boats.net.
100_7490

No comments: