6/9/14

DT1 flat track project

I'm using a Parts Unlimited clutch cable part # K28-2501 and Parts Unlimited clutch perch and shorty lever part # 43-4102L. The other lever is the compression release, which is used for engine braking.
100_7133

I bought a seat cover and foam from Pobits Vintage Enduro Parts ebay store.
100_7103

The red cords in the front are to tighten the cover as you install it.
100_7104

The Pobits kit foam is from CEET Racing Products.
100_7106

The first step was to install the rubber dampers, and then slit some vinyl tubing for the edge protector. I tape it in place to it doesn't come off when installing the cover. Then I used some spray adhesive to attach the foam to the pan. I only use a small amount; just enough to hold the foam in position when installing the cover.
100_7107

I start in the middle, and work out from there.
100_7112

One tip is to leave the hinges a little loose until you are putting the pins in to install it on the bike, and then tighten them.
100_7109

On fit and finish, and ease of installation, the Pobits kit is excellent. I'm very happy with it.
100_7116

100_7117

The tank badges are part # 65-6500 from MikesXS. At $29 each they are a smokin' deal compared to what originals go for. I've heard of quality complaints of these badges, but for the money I think they look great. One tip on these badges, when I went to test fit them on my tank, one side looked to be bowed out with a gap in the middle. I swapped them side to side to see if it was the badges, and the same side of the tank with the other badge had the gap. It turned out that the ends of the mounting bracket on one side of the tank were pulled out just slightly, to after pushing them in, the badge fit fine. So if yours gap, you might just need to adjust the bracket.
100_7123

Since the badges were on the tank, I had to set the tank on the bike to see how it is looking so far. The tank won't be white. That will be wet sanded and masked for the stripes. The frame I'm using is a '68, and that year had white tanks, but the number plates I bought are also white, so I want a little more color on the bike.
100_7147

100_7127

No comments: