7/17/14

XS650 Special

I want to get the carbs spot on, so I'm replacing the old diaphragms with new ones from JBM Industries. These really are a great product at a low price.
100_7854

JBM shows snips being used to remove the plastic retaining rings, but I've had better luck using a cut-off wheel and a utility knife.
100_7819

I cut off the old diaphragms, and then using the cut-off wheel cut into the plastic, being sure not to cut into the slide.
100_7823

I then score the remaining part with a utility knife most of the rest of the way through.
100_7831

Then use a flat blade screw driver to pop them the rest of the way.
100_7834

I'm painting the tank and side covers just like the DT flat tracker, starting with Dupli-Color white.
100_7816

First wet sanding, and then lots of dry time before masking and the color coat.
100_7815

The roll of 3M tape I bought for the DT is enough to do a few bikes.
100_7841

Here I am laying out the side cover stripes on the bike, using a spare AT/CT tank for reference.
100_7844

I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to use these decals. I'd thought of cutting them up to say 650, but the 360 has a larger white outline, and the numbers are slightly taller. If I can't make it work with some hobby knife magic, I might have to have some made.
100_7868

Here is the color coat, the same VHT "gold flake" as the DT, right after spraying and peeling the tape. Like with the DT, it'll take on a different look after wet sanding and clear coat.
100_7866

100_7863

I got this DT1 front fender cheap since it has some dents, but nothing some hammer and dolly work can't fix. It fits the fat front tire, so I'll have to see about making some brackets and adapting it to the XS forks. This is a normally pricey part, so I won't use it if I have to modify it.
100_7874

No comments: