9/27/14

RT1 project

I started mockup on another bitsa Yamaha enduro, this one a '70 RT1. I'd been wanting to do a street 2 stroke project for awhile, and was going to use a '67 YR1 chassis, but I got a great deal on this frame earlier this month, so will use it instead. Here it is after being delivered by the United States Postal Service. I didn't know you could send a frame just wrapped in bubble wrap in the mail, but apparently you can. That is a convenient way to do it.
100_9564

It is in super nice shape. It came with the swingarm, and title.
100_9568

I stuck it on my swap meet wagon for now, and starting fitting some parts to see what else I'll need. This is going to be a street special, probably similar to the DT1 flat tracker, but with a front brake, lights, and a high pipe. I'll keep the autolube oil injection on this one. With a bitsa project there is no concern of not using "correct" parts, so it keeps the cost down and fun up. The seat here is from a '70 CT1. It is smaller than the DT/RT seats, and I might end up fitting it to the bike.
100_9860 (2)

2 comments:

Steve said...

I recently discovered your blog and am enjoying it. Thanks for going into so much detail. I have been looking for a RT/DT myself to turn into a street tracker, something in between your DT1 and 650 special. I'll be sure to follow your newest RT build. I am curious to see what you will do with the electrics, go 12v or stay with the original 6v. I have been wondering if the electrics from an SR500 or similar could be used.

Joe C said...

Thanks! As far as electrics, I'll likely stay 6v, but it might be something to consider doing. I have seen some discussion on yamahaenduro.com about converting, so it can be done.