12/6/14

DT1 MX project

The bearings are ordered, so I'm getting some of the other parts ready. I removed the transmission from the engine with the damaged cases, and need to clean and inspect it for the new engine. After removing the transmission, make sure all of the shims and there. Sometimes they will stick to the bearings in the cases.
101_0443

Here is the countershaft ready to clean.
101_0445

I lay everything out in the order it came off the shaft, putting the side down in the direction it came off the shaft. On an old 2 stroke the transmission will likely be the cleanest part of the bike inside or out, so doesn't take much to clean. I used dish soap in hot water and a toothbrush. Cleaning is where you'll usually notice any excessive wear or damage.
101_0446

After the parts are cleaned I lay them out to get ready to reassemble. I print out a parts diagram, this one from Boats.net where I get most of my OEM parts, and label everything to make sure it is all there and in the right order. Use oil anywhere metal touches metal when reassembling.
101_0451

Here is the countershaft back together.
101_0453

The rest of the transmission is cleaned and ready to drop in.
101_0458

No comments: