12/20/14

DT1 MX project

I'm using a used welded crank that measured to be in very good shape. The shim is for the right side of the crank.
101_0493

First the cases are dry fit, and the distance between the main bearings measured. The crank width at the bearings and the shim are also measured. The difference between the crank and bearings should be roughly twice the measurement of the shim. The crank is installed in the right case with the shim in place, and fully seated against the bearing. This makes sure the crankshaft is centered.
101_0489

Here the crank and transmission are put in the right side case, I next used a small brush to paint on a thin coat of ThreeBond 1194. 
101_0496

I then used my crank installation tool to install the left side case. The left side of the crank "floats" in the bearing, so stop once the cases are seated. I then used stainless cap screws with anti-seize to fasten them together.
101_0499

Here it is on the stand.
101_0502

No comments: