8/3/15

XS650 enduro project

I'm going to redo my '75 XS650.
100_7962

Every since finishing the '79 XS650 I've wanted to do another one like it, but take it a bit further. I'd considered getting a third XS650, but think redoing the '75 is a better way to go. I'll be doing some things I'd looked at on the '79 but didn't do like knobby tires, a 21" front wheel, high pipes and a high front fender. Like the '79 I'll be keeping it twin shock and using a non-leading axle fork. One thing I really like about the '79 is that most people that see it when I'm out on it think it is just a nice stock old enduro, so I'll be going for that look on the '75.
101_9416

I'll be using a Yamaha AT1/CT1 gas tank and seat. The tank is the same type as I used on the '79. To fit the tank you need to slightly spread and then narrow the front mounts on the tank, and relocate the frame mounts. On the rear I made a mount for the stock AT1/CT1 tank damper. A new petcock bung needs welded in further back. On the bike the coil needs moved to inside the triangle behind the steering head, and the top engine mount removed.
100_5438

The main reason I like using the smaller AT1/CT1 tank over a DT1/RT1 tank is that the tunnel is wider, and makes it able to fit better without major work.
101_8425

Here is the seat pan getting ready to be fit to the XS.
100_5439

The AT1/CT1 frame is wider than the XS650, so to make the rear dampers fit the frame I drilled out the spot welds and swapped the mounts from one side to the other. The mounts are offset, so swapping them put the dampers at the right width.
100_5449

For the front dampers I glued some extras on them to get the height right. Now the dampers all sit on the frame. I still need to locate the hinges and latch.
100_5451

I'll be using an XT500 front end, and needed to swap the steering stem to fit it, so will be using one from an XJ750 lower fork clamp.
100_5490

The XT lower clamp is aluminum. You just remove the pinch bolt and press out the stem.
100_5493

The XJ stem is welded in. I first ground down the weld, and cut the clamp apart to make it easier to remove. The XJ stem is them pressed in and bolted into the XT lower clamp.
100_5494

100_5496

I'll be polishing up these shouldered rims to use, but that won't be for awhile.
100_5521

For the exhaust I'm using a CL350 set I got for free.
100_5690

The rear parts are completely gone, otherwise you wouldn't want to cut these up since they go for big money if in decent shape.
100_5692

Here is all that I'll be using of the CL exhaust. I fit some flanges so they'll bolt up to the engine.
100_5694

Here is the bike in rough mock-up so far. The exhaust will be by far the most work, so I'll try to get it knocked out first. The steering stops will need modified for the new forks. I'll be making a slid plate like the one on the '79, but first need to see if I want to relocate the side stand. It is what hangs the lowest on the bike. The rear fender is a stock XS650 part that I cut a section out, and will be welded back together. The front fender is just for mock-up, and won't be the one used on the finished bike. Anyway, a lot of work ahead on it, but I'm really liking the bike so far.
100_5700

100_5701

No comments: