3/23/16

RT3 MX project

I found most of what I was looking for at the swap meet, so did some more mock-up on the RT3. I bought a rolling '78 DT250 chassis for $35 for the forks and rear wheel. I got a '73-'74 MX250 seat, a DC Plastics early YZ reproduction front fender, and a Hooker expansion chamber. I had some leading axle 38mm forks on it, but they weren't right for this bike. The 34mm DT250 forks are just right using '73-'74 SC500 triple clamps. The MX250 seat should work fine after some minor alterations.
100_8302

100_8305

100_8314

Before getting too far along I wanted to see if there were any clearance issues at full travel. I've been using 13.5" XT500 shocks for mock-up, and had some bare shock bodies without springs, so I put those on and removed the fork caps. No rubs or clearance problems.
100_8326

I have no idea what the Hooker pipe was made to fit, but looks like I should be able to make it fit the RT3.
100_8319

8 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

I can't believe you got a Hooker Pipe for it!!! that is wonderful.
everything is looking great. custom vintage Yamaha dirt bikes is your talent no doubt about it.
that bike find is a major score

Joe C said...

You'd mentioned getting a Hooker pipe for it in the other post, so it was pretty cool that I actually found one. For $30 it was a super deal. After a bit of cutting and welding it'll be extra great on the bike.

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

the heat shields alone would be worth $30. I like that last pic in the XS650 backing plate post where you finished and assembled the front end. the brake and forks and wheel and tire look great. I guess you'll sandblast the Hooker shields and paint them aluminum caliper paint, or something.

Joe C said...

The guy I bought it from said he'd got an offer for just the shields, but he wanted to sell the pipe complete. I'm glad he did. I'm not sure yet, but I'll probably go flat black on the pipe, and gloss black on the shields. I did that on the Torque Engineering pipe on the '69 DT1, and really like how it looks.

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

I was also thinking flat black pipe with gloss black shields. that would look best on this particular bike.
the shields will be modest and not contrast with the rest of the yellow/black Yamaha YZ style, it will look right in gloss black.
nothing cooler than custom vintage motocross/dirt bikes.

you should build a 1970's YZ/MX/DT 80cc mini motocrosser next.
like a 1978 monoshock YZ80 frame (chromed) with 1972 DT60 tank (metal flake gold) and 72 MX80 seat (white tuck-n-roll) and 1973 mini Petty fenders (baby blue) with a low pipe.
polished cases.
something like a fantasy Works Factory Yamaha YZ80 from 1972 prototype mini racer.

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

I ment JT60 tank

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

I just saw this tank on eBay and thought you might enjoy looking at it.
not for any particular project of yours but just for you to see. it's expensive-http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-AT-DT-CT-RT-1-2-3-YZ-PLASTIC-fuel-gas-petrol-TANK-Vintage-MX-MotoCross-/262352817122?hash=item3d15724be2:g:IawAAOSwI3RW9XdT&vxp=mtr

Joe C said...

I like the mini racer idea. I've got too many projects already, but I plan on finishing a long overdue '71 TC90 this summer. Maybe I'll do a few cool mods on it?