3/28/16

RT3 MX project

I got started on fitting the $30 Hooker pipe, and taking a look at what to do for a rear fender.
100_8319

Here is the pipe just set roughly where it will go. I don't know what it is made to fit, but looking at the heat shields it might be for a left side application, but those can be swapped front to back. The head pipe diameter fits the RT3 manifold, although the pipe isn't in the right location.
100_8318

I cut it apart to begin fitting it to the RT. It has surface rust, but is very solid and will look great after sandblasting and painting later on.
100_8411

Since I'm using a narrowed XT500 rear frame I thought I'd try a narrowed XT500 rear fender.
100_8392

I cut a section out of the middle.
100_8395

Here it is tacked together. It'll take a bit of metal massaging to make it look pretty, but for now I was just wanting to see if this is what I'll be using.
100_8397

First I'm figuring out where the expansion chamber needs to live, and then I'll fit the head pipe and weld the stinger on. It's a fat chamber and a skinny bike, so it's a bit of a packaging challenge, but I think this is where it will be. One thing I wanted was to make sure it cleared the kicker pedal. Some aftermarket exhausts don't, and you have to rotate the kicker pedal back. With a 250cc DT this isn't as much of an issue, but on the RT3's 360cc engine not having the full travel on the kick start can cause it to kick back. I'll probably have to make an additional heat shield for the top of the chamber, since it'll be pretty close to the leg there.
100_8400

100_8408

I'm really liking the XT500 fender on it, so I'll go ahead and finish it off.
100_8405

2 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

could you use a compression release and go ahead and move the kickstart down some?
or maybe move the pipe over to the left side?

Joe C said...

The 360 engines do have a built in compression release in the top front of the cylinder. The way the head and cylinder are shaped on the left side wouldn't work very well for an exhaust on that side. I might look at using a shorter kicker, and go a bit lower on the chamber than it is in the picture. That should give enough leg clearance on the top.